Aug 27, 2000

Introductions

Me
I am twenty-something technical support professional with a degree in Political Science from the University of the Philippines in Diliman. To say that I strayed from my educational course is probably an understatement, but I've always enjoyed using computers so I'm not complaining.

Writing
I started writing later than most. I was in college then. I borrowed this notebook that my friend always carried around with her and started reading what was in it. It was a piece about a hooker and I found it so noteworthy that I still associate the phrase “stiletto heels” with it up to now. I can do this, I remember saying to myself back then. One of the results of those thoughts is this blog.

Blogging
This is probably the fourth or fifth incarnation of the blog. Ever since I started it I’ve been torn between keeping it and getting rid of it altogether. Obviously, the former won (for now). I initially used it as therapy. If I felt depressed, I wrote. It helped, but I realized along the way that I didn’t want depression to be my muse. So I started writing about other things, mostly about gaming since it occupies a lot of my time. I also blog to practice my writing.

Gaming
Video games have been a part of my life since I was 8. They gradually evolved from amusing distractions to a very serious hobby. I play on my PC and my PS2. If you want a ballpark figure, I spent around 50,000 pesos (approx. $900) on a new PC this year (2005). That’s how serious I am. Among the gaming genres, I enjoy RPGs the most and sports games the least.

Zeroinitiate
I was thinking of an AOL screen name to use at work because all of us use AIM. I wanted to think of something that denoted my newbie status (I’d only been at the company for two weeks back then, I think) but didn’t make me sound stupid at the same time. I first thought of “ground zero” (the center of a nuke’s blast radius) but found out that someone had already taken it. Then I thought of the word “neophyte”, which led to “initiate”, and there you have it.

No comments: